Head of the data science chair (former DMIR Research Group)
Chair of Data Science (Informatik X)
University of Würzburg
Phone:(+49 931) 31 - 88453
Fax: (+49 931) 31 - 86732
Office: Room B012 (Computer Science Building M2)
Office Hours: By appointment only
I am a professor at the University of Würzburg and the head of the data science chair (former DMIR group). Prior, I was a senior researcher at the University of Kassel. I started my research at the AIFB Institute at the University of Karlsruhe where I was working on text mining, ontology learning and semantic web related topics. My previous work also involved working at the KDE group of the University of Kassel on topics like data mining, semantic web mining and social media analysis. For a couple of years I've been a member of the L3S Research Center located in Hannover.
In general, my current research focus is on data science (formerly known as data mining), text mining and semantic web.
Meanwhile, for many years I have followed the idea to combine the processing of natural language with the explicitly represented knowledge known today as knowledge graphs. This naturally leads to research on a combination of Text Mining and NLP methods like representation learning, information extraction, metric learning and ontology learning with research on Semantic Web, or Web Science. To reach these goals, I use and adopt NLP, machine learning and data mining methods. Beside that, I also work on Sentiment Analysis, genre classification and quotation detection. I have applied these methods on historic literature, but also on Social Media data, most recently on chat messages from Twitch.tv.
Other areas I’m interested in and working on are ranking, recommendation and behavior analysis methods. Additionally, my research interests include Anomaly Detection and the analysis of Time Series mostly on the web but recently also on ERP and environmental data. Since many of these problems can be approached by black box machine learning and deep learning methods, another research area of mine is on explainable AI, to gather insights and understand the models.
- Knauf (2019-2022)
- REGIO (2018-2019)
- Adidas (2017-2020)
- BigData@Geo (EFRE, 2017-2021)
- Modelling and Recommendation for Customer Engagement (Industrial cooperation, 2017-2020)
- Promotionsförderung im Rahmen des Doktoranden-programms des ZD.B (ZD.B Felloswhips, 2017-2020)
- p2map: Learning Environmental Maps (DFG, 2016-2019)
- eHumanities-Center Kallimachos (BMBF, 2014-2017, extended to 2019)
- EveryAware: Enhance environmental awareness through social information technologies (EU FET, 2011-2014)
- Pragmatics and Semantics in Social Tagging Systems (DFG, 2011-2016)
- PUMA: Academic Publication Management (DFG, 2009-2015)
- Speaker of the Fachgruppe Knowledge Discovery, Data Mining und Maschinelles Lernen
- BAFög coordinator for the computer science department at the University of Würzburg
- PC Chair: European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases 2019
- Editor in Chief: Journal of Web Semantics since 2018
- Editorial boards: Semantic Web Journal 2009 - 2018, Journal of Web Semantics (data mining area chair) 2013 -2018, Transaction on Internet Technology 2013 -2018
- PC-Chair Hypertext 2013, Track Co-Chair ESWC 2013, Demo Co-Chair ECML PKDD 2013, Track Co-Chair Hypertext 2011, Local Co-Chair GI–Workshopwoche “Lernen – Lehren – Wissen – Adaptivität” 2010, Track Co-Chair Hypertext 2009, Workshops and Tutorial Chair KCap 2009, Local Co-Chair GI–Workshopwoche “Lernen – Lehren – Wissen – Adaptivität” 2003, PC Co-Chair for a variety of workshops, e.g. RSWeb at RecSys 2012-2015, MUSE at ECML PKDD 2010-2015 or a workshop series on semantic web mining at the ECML PKDD 2001-2005
- Selected PC memberships for conferences: ACM SIGKDD (regularly), AAAI (regularly), WWW (regularly), ISWC (regularly), ESWC (regularly), ECML PKDD (regularly), WebSci 2014, WSDM 2013, CIKM 2011
- Reviewer for journals, e.g., International Journal of Information Security (IJISS), Journal on Data Semantics (JoDS), ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB), Machine Learning Journal, Data and Knowledge Engineering (DKE)
- Reviewer for a variety of workshops
- Reviewer of research grants for the DFG and the European Union
- Executive director of the Institute of Computer Science at the University of Würzburg (2015, 2016)
- SWSA Ten-Year Award: "Semantic Grounding of Tag Relatedness in Social Bookmarking Systems", Ciro Cattuto, Dominik Benz, Andreas Hotho, Gerd Stumme at the International Semantic Web Conference 2018 (link )
- Best paper award: “Philipp Singer, Denis Helic, Andreas Hotho and Markus Strohmaier, HypTrails: A Bayesian Approach for Comparing Hypotheses About Human Trails on the Web” at WWW Conference 2015 (link)
- Honorable mention of the paper: “Ciro Cattuto, Dominik Benz, Andreas Hotho and Gerd Stumme, Semantic Grounding of Tag Relatedness in Social Bookmarking Systems” at ISWC 2008 (link)
- The 7 years most influential paper award: “Information Retrieval in Folksonomies: Search and Ranking”, Andreas Hotho, Robert Jäschke, Christoph Schmitz, Gerd Stumme at ESWC 2013 (link )
iNALU: Improved Neural Arithmetic Logic Unit. in Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence (2020). 3 71.
Emote-Controlled: Obtaining Implicit Viewer Feedback through Emote based Sentiment Analysis on Comments of Popular Twitch.tv Channels. in ACM Transactions on Social Computing (2020). 3(2) 1--34.
Participatory Patterns in an International Air Quality Monitoring Initiative. in PLoS ONE (2015). 10(8) e0136763.
Hyptrails: A bayesian approach for comparing hypotheses about human trails. (2015).
Awareness and Learning in Participatory Noise Sensing. in PLoS ONE (2013). 8(12) e81638.
Collective Information Extraction with Context-Specific Consistencies. in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, P. A. Flach, Bie, T. D., Cristianini, N. (eds.) (2012). (Vol. 7523) 728-743.
The Social Bookmark and Publication Management System BibSonomy. in The VLDB Journal (2010). 19(6) 849--875.
Tag Recommendations in Social Bookmarking Systems. in AI Communications, (E. Giunchiglia, ed.) (2008). 21(4) 231-247.
Learning Ontologies to Improve Text Clustering and Classification. in From Data and Information Analysis to Knowledge Engineering (2006). 334--341.
Learning Concept Hierarchies from Text Corpora using Formal Concept Analysis. in Journal on Artificial Intelligence Research (2005). 24 305-339.
List of all publications: http://dmir.org/staff/hotho/pubs
Google Scholar profile: https://scholar.google.de/citations?user=eWTzXFAAAAAJ
DBLP Profile: http://dblp.uni-trier.de/pers/hd/h/Hotho:Andreas